TS Alternatives was Re: Real Time Delphi Platform??

  • To: "Robyn Greene" <allank@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: TS Alternatives was Re: Real Time Delphi Platform??
  • From: "Marlowe Cassetti" <marlowec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 23:26:09 -0400 (EDT)

I have developed several systems in FORTRAN (in my early years) and then
later in C++.  I then discovered that I could bugger up SuperCharts 3.0 to
code extensive systems in EasyLanguage.  When the code got too large and too
slow I migrated to writing the systems via a C++ DLL.  In short, SuperCharts
and TradeStation are good platforms for developing and testing sophisticated
systems.

However, as year 2000 looms closer I ponder which platform to switch to?
The Omega products are really geared to the daytrader.  This was evident a
few years back when they stopped selling TS 4.0 EOD and forced you to buy
the "real time version" at twice the price.  Daytraders go broke big time,
so they can't possibly miss a few thousand $ to purchase TS plus the
claptrap of those expensive data "servers."  Omega has these folks in a
stranglehold and can squeeze them for all it is worth.

Right now I'm looking seriously at several platforms including Excel.
Before you laugh too loud, consider the market potential of developing a
successful system on Excel.  There are 10,000 times more PCs and Macs out
there with Excel than there are TS2000 platforms.  The market is immense.

Marlowe