Re: TraderWare - better backtesting for position traders.

> Mark, What do you think of using the following in TraderWare to make
backtesting more closely approximate the real world for position traders:
Have TraderWare generate signals on continuous contracts that it adjusts &
smoothes     snip>

actually I would like to write a little bit about this because it is
required to go through an educational process in order to appreciate the
power of VB.   I first learned of VB's power like many others on from the
TradeLab project.  I was impressed and still am with the potential that a VB
based trading platform can give.  If anyone was on the TL list they were
privy to much conversation about the capabilities of an open public
programming language.  The flexibility of being able to practically do
anything you want to do is a hard concept to understand and get driven home.
It took me a few months of reading and watching on the TL list to fully
grasp that a user has just about total control over every aspect of a
program.  There is however a BIG difference in being able to have total
control over a product and being able to program it.  Some other attempts of
building a program like this have been so bogged down with indirection that
they are dead in the water.  If those programs had delivered we would not
have taken up the effort to produce a product for ourselves.  We decided
that total flexibility is fine for some people however most traders need
built in tools and such and the ability to do complicated studies too.  So
thinking of our own needs which is a blend between power and not being a
slave to the program.  We decided that an arsenal of pre programmed modules
such as News monitor, Quote screen,  System builder, Indicator builder,
Forum area's ect. as well as a Charting module have all been provided.  This
is a large part of the work that other similar VB products (there's only one
other proposed that we know of) don't have.  Combine this powerful shell
that is buy itself a good stand alone product.  With the ability to directly
call multiple data sources from a truly open data source, directly into your
code.  This allows many possibilities in backtesting.  A call of multiple
time frames for a filtering process, all without having to apply that to or
build a chart.  The whole concept of running systems without applying that
system to a chart is very powerful.  When you think about the freedom a
platform like this offers.  The biggest enemy that your creativity has is
being able to accept what is possible as a fact now and not a dream.  So to
answer your question on backtesting yes most any and all variations of how
to test can be accomplished.  It will take some time to build in a variety
of methods but the shell is there.  The system now at present is capable of
something no other product that within the regular mans grasp.  And that is
it can perform multiple system on multiple contact optimizations.  We also
have no limit to the amount of studies that can be tracked.  We have no
limit to the number of symbols that can be plotted in a multi data chart.
We have no limit to the number of securities that can be scanned in real
time for unlimited criteria that you specify.  We plot bid and ask and best
bid and best ask. We have multi data TICK charts in real time.  We have
built in libraries of indicators and systems that the code is fully
disclosed so that you can use them as a learning aid.  We do not have a
perfect product by we are working on making it that way, and I can promise
you the program will be used by us to trade with.  mb