TS2000/DTN Experiences/Access to tick data from time based charts

  • To: "Omega Email List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: TS2000/DTN Experiences/Access to tick data from time based charts
  • From: "William R Wood" <wr_wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:02:43 -0400 (EDT)

Am a stock trader new to the list.  Have been using TS since 1993.

"Upgraded" from TS4 to TS2000 in order to use DTN satellite and to get
access to bid/ask in charts.  Little did I know what I was in for.  TS2000
changed the way intraday tick volume is allocated between upticks and
downticks.  TS4 handled volume correctly.  This problem can be seen in the
Data window on any intraday tick or time bar chart. On tick charts trade
volume is arbitrarily divided in half and allocated equally to U column and
the D column in the Data Window. This is, of course, ridiculous and produces
meaningless values for Up Vol and Dn Vol since they are always equal.  On
time based charts such as a 5 min chart, the trade volume from all unchanged
price ticks is allocated to Up Vol even if the unchanged tick follows a
downtick in price.  This is also ridiculous and results in a gross
overstatement of Up Vol and a corresponding understatement of Down Vol. For
some bizarre reason the TS indicator Volume always equals Up Vol hence
Volume is inaccurate also.

As a result all 3 of TS's volume indicators, Up Volume, Down Volume and
Volume, are incorrect intraday and should not be used.  I reported this to
Omega. Some tech types say this was done on purpose (but they have no
explaination for what that purpose might be), some say it is a mistake.  No
one knows when or whether it will be fixed.  My emails to Cruz have been
ignored.  To me this is a major problem since I used to make my living from
a volume indicator I developed in TS4 which is now useless.  Swiching back
to TS4 is a substantial hassel since I have to tear down the DTN dish then
switch back to BMI (garbage data) or PC Quote (extreme high cost) and then I
loose bid/ask on charts also.  Situation is not good.

As to DTN I am very impressed.  I have used Signal, BMI and S&P Comstock
satellite feeds.  I had to quit all of them due to major data inaccuracy or
compatibility problems with TS.  DTN data is accurate and fast.  The only
problem I have found so far is they send out market stats such as Adv/Decl
Issues under a single symbol and TS can't chart the individual values.
Hopefully they will fix this since I use market stats to protect myself from
disaster.

Am collecting every tick on 18,000+ symbols in Global Server (All Stocks and
indices) with no problem.  Dell 450mhz PII, 256mb ram, Win98.  Did have to
install serial card with 16750 UART - Pacific CommWare TurobExpress Port920
avail from Turbocom.com, about $80.  You also have to set the DTN box, Win98
Control Panel -System/Device Mgr/Ports, and Omega's section in Win98
registry to 460800kbps.  This allows the serial port to handle the data flow
without overrun errors in the DTN box and with virtually no overruns in the
serial port buffers.  Data loss goes from huge, at least 40-50%, to
practically zero.

There are many problems with TS2000 in addition to miscalculation of
intraday volume on charts.  Quote Monitor also fails to report correct
intraday volume: Up, Down, Unchanged and Total Vol are all wrong all day on
every symbol.  Also Quote Monitor's values for volume are different from a
chart of the same symbol.  Very strange.  TS4 handled this correctly too.
Also Quote Monitor will not quote market stats correctly or at all and will
not quote Prev or Net Change on Indices.  Thus you can;t tell where INDU
closed yesterday or how much it is up today.  Great quote page.  TS does not
support DTN news.  ETc. Etc Etc

As to my desire for bid/ask I discovered that you can;t put bid/ask on a
tick chart where I really want it.  When I put bid/ask on, say, a 5 min
chart I have no access to tick data.  Is there any way to access tick by
tick data from a time bar chart?  This would solve my volume and bid/ask
problems but I can;t figure out how to do it.  Thanks for any help on this
question.

Regards
Bill Wood