RE: ensign/TS4

-----Original Message-----
From:	Carroll Slemaker [SMTP:cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx]
Sent:	Wednesday, April 14, 1999 8:22 PM
To:	gil ward; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc:	List-omega
Subject:	Re: ensign/TS4

>As I have suggested before (long ago, however!), one should not get too
>upset at the nominal 100% usage reported for the TS server.  A polling loop
>is obviously being performed somewhere in the IPC (inter-process
>communication) function.  The CPU is readily relinquished, however, to any
>other process which needs it.
<snip>

Not quite true. I'm running NT4 (sp4), and for the most part everything runs at a decent speed, with the one exception of Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express). Retrieving half a day's worth of Omega list messages can take 15 to 20 minutes on a 28.8 modem. Opening up the server portfolio drops the CPU usage down below 50%, and enables mail retrieval within the normal 1-3 minute limit. Needless to say, I always open up the server portfolio when retrieving mail.

Andrew