Re: Data feeding two programs?

Pete <Peter2150@xxxxxxx> asks:
>I know that BMI can be split between two computers easily with a split cable,
>but does anyone know the following:(Mark Brown are you there?)
>
>Question: Can TS4 and Metastock Pro on the same computer get BMI data from
>the same serial port. Or do I need a serial cable splitter to have the data
>hit 2 serial ports?

Theoretically, it should be possible, because the BMI feed doesn't
use two-way communication, it's simply throwing its data at your
computer.  But usually applications "lock" a resource they're using,
like that serial port, so the os won't let another app use the port
once the first app grabs it.

Of course, you could write your own serial-port driver (or you could
if you were running Linux), but that driver would have to keep track
of what data it had given to which app, and other potentially messy
housekeeping chores like that.

Much easier to use that cable splitter... :)

Jim