Re: Chartscanner question

At 10:39 PM 4/13/99 +0200, you wrote:
>I'm just starting to get to grips with Chartscanner in TS 4.0 using Signal
>real-time data (not end-of-day data provider, hence I can't use custom data
>lists) and I have the following question:
>
>I have about 900 symbols in my server portfolio: futures symbols from
>various exchanges and stocks from Nasdaq and Nyse.
>
>Can anyone walk me through how to run chartscanner separately on:
>
>a) All my futures symbols
>b) My Nyse stocks
>c) My Nasdaq stocks
>
>Isn't it something to do with running Chartscanner on a particular
>"directory"?  A step-by-step guide would be most welcome!
>
>Thanks,
>Simon.

I think you are foiled from the start, Simon. My understanding of ChartScanner with RT data is that you can only scan the *entire* RT portfolio. This makes it quite awkward, but maybe the simplest thing is to let it rip on the entire portfolio anyway, and throw out the ones you don't want from each scan.

Perhaps you can add new conditions in your ela scanning filters to prevent alerts on symbols you don't want firing, such as commodity number, session end time, or something!!! This doesn't sound too promising though, as you can't lookup the symbols' exchange in EL.

It's truly odd that you can create custom data lists from data you download from Dial/Data but you can't do the same from symbols in your RT Portfolio.

The directory scan is similar to a custom data list - all the symbols in one directory - but it too only works on non-RT Server data.

I'd love to be corrected by someone who might know better.

Mike G.