RE: What's the deal with TradeLab? (revisited)

I don't normally respond to posts like this.  However I am also a TradeLab
beta tester and quit contrary to Mr. Vikstrom I am very pleased.

When I read the problems with TradeStation 2000 I can better appreciate the
precision and detail that Bob Brickey is taking with TradeLab beta testing.
Another key is that the UMDS v3 is not yet available.  I'm been running UMDS
v2 with other applications for about a month now and there is no comparison
to the Omega 16bit server let alone the, what appears from posts on these
lists to be the disastrous, TS200 data server.  I presume most TL beta
testers are impatient but that's human nature considering what we will have
available to us in the (not too distant, I hope) future.   Something very
worth while is worth waiting for.

Jim Gavey

As a very unsatisfied tradelab(TL) customer/betatester I feel the need to
express my own (and my employers) experiences.

After following the development of TL from distance, i.e. the TL discussion
group, I decided to apply as a betatester. The decision was based upon my
appreciation of how Mr. Brickey, the developer of TL, explained the project,
the features and the software design. As a professional software developer,
both of financial applications and trading strategies, I was excited to see
someone addressing the shortcomings of tradestation and the need for an open
and extendible platform. Actually I could hardly wait to join, even at a
price of 1k$.

After installing the software I became very confused - There is no way to
use it. Actually it delivers close to nothing. It is also *very* buggy. With
all main features missing (system building and charting) and given the level
of programming errors the software is clearly in early alpha. Mr. Brickey
wrote that some features would be locked out. Personally I don't believe
they are locked out - They don't exist.

I was also surprised by the level of very unnecessary details. It seems that
Mr. Brickey has lost track of the priorities and instead started to build
impressive menulevels, internet connections and the like (above all spending
a lot of time with the hardlock key and the troubles that brings). He has
forgotten the basics, with TL you cannot build trading systems and the
charting features are useless. According to Mr. Brickey this is perfectly
alright and according to the agreement I have signed. In my view this is a
clear case of communication problems. When I hear the word "beta" I think of
something like almost_ready or
all_features_are_there_but_probably_somewhat_buggy. To Mr. Brickey it seems
to mean I_need_to_get_some_cash_pretty_soon.

I have returned the CD and hardlock key and Mr. Brickey has removed me from
the betalist. After a few attempts I have realized that we will not get our
money back. Of course I feel stupid but also a bit sad. I don't believe this
was a deliberate scam, but rather yet another software project which lost
focus on the way and where ego and/or financial considerations stops people
from taking appropriate actions. Sounds familiar?

Regards
/Jonas Vikstrom