Re: trader status question

  • To: "Phil Lane" <accumulator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: trader status question
  • From: "Thomas Brun" <TDBRUNkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:50:28 -0500 (EST)

Phil,

I thought your question was a good question and I found nothing wrong with
your request.  I think it is a good idea to review this issue once a year
and I did receive some additional information from postings to your request.
I was just trying to ask  that facts, as best as we know them, or at least
sources be posted, rather than opinions.

Please accept my apology.  My comment was not directed towards you.

I think your coments below, except for  #3 are correct.

Regarding #3

I don't think that the schedule C removes the 60/40 treatment of Capital
gains for futures.  From my experience, Form 6781 flows into the schedule D
and then to the 1040.  Only the expense moves from the Schedule C to the
1040.  To be honest, my CPA was not happy about putting the expenses on the
Schedule C, but he did agree with me that it seemed to be the best place for
them.

There is a Mark to Market election that you can make and I think that
changes the Capital Gain income to ordinary income.  I think that is
something different to the specific question of trader status.  I don't
recall the exact detalis of that election.  I think it is something new.

Regards,

Tom Brun