Re: Variables and Arrays

Robyn,

Variables and Arrays are terms known very well to Programmers, but maybe not
to non-nerds--

A Variable is simply a location in computer memory that is used to store a
value -- it's called a "variable" because the value stored there can be
varied-- depending on what the software chooses to place at that location.

i.e. in the following examples

A=5
B=7
C=3

A, B, and C are all variables which can contain any value that the software
assigns to them, in this case, 5, 3, and 7 respectively.

An Array is simply a collection of Variables in a specific order -- Think of
an Array with three elements as "pigeon-holes" that will contain values that
will vary, depending on what the software stores there.

i.e. in the following example, an Array named "X" has 3 elements, and the
same values from the above example are assigned to the three elements of the
"X" Array--  First the Array must be dimensioned-- this syntax varies with
different programming languages:

Dim X(3)

X(1) = 5
X(2) = 7
X(3) = 3

It gets more complex with multi-dimensional arrays, but this should provide
a starting point-- If you find this stuff interesting, I would suggest
picking up an entry-level computer programming book.