some thoughts on switching software

Hi All:

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

I've just read with interest Earl's post ("Future of trading data/software".

Before I switched to TS 5+ years ago, I used a Dos version of metastock.
And before that, I wrote my moving average program in BASIC (really a piece
of junk compared to what I'm getting nowadays).  Took me maybe several
hundred hours to write that program.  For data, I had to go to the local
library, went through microfishes and jotted down stock data... Took
forever just to get stock data in ascii form...

I've spent thousands and thousands of hours and dollars on TS and software
from various solution providers.   Even though my programming ability is
extremely limited (most of the time I use quick editor), I have a large
collection of codes, both from the 2 lists and bought.

No doubt the real-time data from Signal and EOD data from Dial data are
both costly and not all that accurate at times.  But I can live with that.

Consider if I go out to work for a company, all I can expect is to earn a
gross annual salary of maybe $40K at most (Cdn).  Trading equity options
for the past few years, I made more than double what I would have earned
working, after tax, and net of all related expenses.

True TS4 is not perfect.  Every few days, when I'm using TS AND internet at
the same time, there is a danger of computer crash (=freeze and you have to
shut off the computer by hand; and the last crash took me 16+ hurs to get
the computer working again).  One solution is to not use the internet so
much on the same computer.  EL programming for me is also not easy.  But
then I don't create extremely complex indicators or systems.  For the ones
that I have, they've helped me a great deal.

If I have to migrate to another trading software that is totally not
related to TS (ie, I can't transfer all the codes etc to the new software),
that's not my choice at all.  I would have to start all over, from the
absolute beginning...

So, my conclusion (for myself) is I will stick to TS4 for as long as it's
still viable, i.e., assuming Omega Reseach will give us a free y2k patch.
If in the future, 90% of the posts I read about TS2000 are favorable, I
will definitely migrate to TS2000.  Until there is a software that is
TOTALLY compatible with TS4 and MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN TS4 (that means I can
use all the TS4 codes etc in the new software), I see no need to jump ship.

That's my humble opinon only.

Regrds,

Wong