Server Initialization and 256M of RAM

Hi Trading Bros-

Thanks for the many responses concerning the server being slow to
initialize.  I took some advice and watched the server text as it worked and
found it got hung up on the "looking for valid date from data feed" or
whatever.    The rest of the sequence was fast.  I guess that means that
Bonneville is sending the date field at wide intervals compared to the
past....

Anyway, after watching the posts about some upgrading to 256 Meg of Ram and
what a difference it made in Excel and other areas, I did the same from my
original 48Meg.   I called PC mall (mail order) and they quoted $289 per
128M card...but were out of stock...luckily.   I called Comp USA and they
had them for $199 each!   Got down there and installed them today.

What I can say at this point is that the old  hang up problems and constant
harddrive clicking have gone away, and it appears that TS 4.0 and Excel run
quite quickly and smoothly now. Will do some more performance tests, but
wish I had done this a year ago with this "new" (now old)  computer.

Later,

Tom Cathey

BTW,    I can honestly say I haven't lost a single tick since NOT upgrading
to 2000i!  <g>