Re: Tax question - off topic but probably of interest to most

  • To: "Dan Dick" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Tax question - off topic but probably of interest to most
  • From: "Thomas Brun" <TDBRUNkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:05:12 -0500 (EST)

Is this a Futures Trade?  You didn't specify.  If it is a Futures or Futures
option trade, I would suggest that you obtain a copy of:

The Invertor's Guide to the Taxation of Commodity Futures and Futures
Options by Ted Tesser.

 I don't think it will cost more than $10.00.

You can obtain a copy by contacting,

 Center for Futures Education,Inc.
401 Erie Street
PO box 309
Grove City, Pa 16127
(724) 458-5860

There has been a change to the taxing of Futures under the Mark-to Market
provision.  I think this is under a Section 475 transaction election.  By
making this election you will have to petition the IRS to revoke this
election.  This might help you but I would get an expert to advise you.

I am not a CPA but it seems as though it would be worth it for you to pursue
the possibility of reducing your tax....You are talking about a big tax
expense.

Hope this helps,

Tom