Re: Help with ascii files

This ASCII import issue comes up frequently. Below is a response that
I posted last year on it. It works!

I use Ascii data with TS very frequently and have run into the
described problem many times. It can be EXTREMELY frustrating!!!

I have found the cleanest fix to be the following.
1. Using server data, set up a chart using the same time frame as the
desired ASCII data.
2. Go to View/Data Window and do a "Send to File" command", naming it
the same name that you want to use for the ASCII data.
3. Open a chart up and import that ASCII file as
"Date/Time/O/H/L/C/V/OI"
4. Save and close the workspace.
5. Replace the data in that ASCII file with the data that you really
want to use (your original ASCII data). Make sure to close the file
after doing so.
6. Open the workspace that you originally saved the imported chart in.
Wah-La! You should have a chart with the data that you originally
wanted.

Don't ask me why it works. IT JUST DOES! My best guess would be that
there is some sort of formatting that needs to be read on the FIRST
opening of the ASCII file. If it isn't there, TS screws up the reading
of the data. But then, that's just a guess.

Hope this helps.
Bob Hunt