Re: The traveling trader

>I'm about to write a short article for Futures about trading on the road
>and what equipment to use when you need to monitor the markets when
>you're away from home. What would you guys say are the minimum hardware
>/ software requirements. What else need a traveling trader think of when
>it comes to internet connections, e-mail accounts, phone cards, mobile
>phones, beepers etc. etc. What is the least you can get by with and how
>much will such a configuration cost? What about computers and fax
>machines provided by the hotels, are these of any good? Any input will
>be of value and very much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Thomas Stridsman

I've had great results with a 133MHz Dell laptop computer (running
Safesoft). I signed up with a national ISP with local numbers all over.
Used signal with the FM data feed, it will get you by in most big cities.
The cable feed is a bit more complete as far as the ticks go, but I have my
doubts as to whether it's available on the hotel room cable systems.

One thing to be aware of: Most hotels will charge you per call. They shoot
themselves in the foot. Because of this annoying policy I just stay logged
on all day. Ha ha.

Also forget about going to Mexico if you want to trade. Internet service
there didn't cut it, would crash every night and stay that way till Manuel
came in the next morning to reset things. Also 800-numbers don't work
there!!