Re: Omega Announces Prices for Products

> Is this for real? Surely the big team of Omega programmers can do what a
> simple Australian programmer Bryce Gilmore can do for his WaveTrader
> software - get it to work with the new MetaStock data format.  What issue
> would Omega have with CSI.  This is really bizarre as the data format for
> MetaStock V6.52 is very easy to use.

I don't know whether it's for real (like I said - I got conflicting answers from
Omega).  And - although I'm sure Omega could make its products work with any
data format - the problem is it seems that more and more software vendors are
getting the idea that they want to make money off the data sources too (give
away the razor - make you buy the blades idea).  Omega is apparently starting
its own data service - and I guess it doesn't want to give users the choice to
go elsewhere (or to go elsewhere easily).

> Seems to me that Omega SC & TS had a big advantage over the competition in
> that you could use almost any data format except Techtools (politics I
> guess).  Data causes more drama than software for traders - so can we assume
> that Omega do not want us to buy their product anymore as the vast majority
> of EOD users use MetaStock format.  If so you can still use your SC 4 on
> metastock data it just comes up with display as the Year 2000 being "100"
> after 99. No big deal no need for upgrade.

Actually - I use SuperCharts 2.1.  And judging from my fiddling with the program
- it works fine until about March 2000.  Then it works fine with data after
March 2000.  But it won't read a data file spanning that period.  Some of my
systems need a year or two of data to "warm" up - so I'd have to muddle through
in the interim.

BTW - if you switch over to the new Y2K ok Downloader - there's a small problem
in using it with Omega programs.  The ".dop" files are missing (at least they're
missing in the Reuters version).  It's easy to recreate them - just takes a bit
of time.  If anyone needs to know how to create the .dop files - let me know.
FWIW - Metastock doesn't need the .dop files - but other charting programs do.
So I guess Equis is being about as cooperative as Omega in this whole thing.
Robyn