Re: Omega Announces Prices for Products

Bob Fulks wrote:

>     Omega Research's next generation of products is expected, upon
> release, to be compatible with the following real-time Internet and
> broadcast data services: Data Broadcasting Corporation's (NASDAQ:DBCC)
> Signal Online (Internet), StockEdge Online (Internet), InSite
> (Internet), DBC Signal (Broadcast) and BMI (Broadcast); Data
> Transmission Network Corporation's (NASDAQ:DTLN) DTN Real Time and
> DTNstant (Broadcast); and PC Quote, Inc.'s (AMEX:PQT) Hyperfeed(tm)
> (Internet and Broadcast). An agreement is also in place to add, later
> this year, as a compatible real-time data service, Standard & Poor's
> ComStock's Xpressfeed(tm).

I just resubscribed to this list - because now that it's 1999 - I hope I can
get my systems Y2K compliant.  I've been interested in replacing my very old
SuperCharts with the new TradeStation.  But - when I spoke with Omega this
week - I got confused about the EOD vendors the new TradeStation will
support.  One salesperson told me that the new version won't support any data
in Metastock format (or other formats - like CSI - for that matter).  This is
a problem for me - since I have all my data in Metastock format - and some of
it is impossible to duplicate without reentering all of it by hand (like 70
years worth of weekly advance/decline data from Barron's).  Another
salesperson told me that EOD data in Metastock format could be imported - but
you'd have to import the data for every chart you run every day manually.
Neither answer was very reassuring - since I was hoping that Omega would
support the data vendors/formats it had always supported.  But it seems that
Omega plans to start its own EOD data service - and to make its products
incompatible with those of other vendors.

I called a couple of friends of mine who've been using Omega products for
years with various data vendors - and they were upset about the possibility of
losing their ability to use Omega products with their databases and the data
vendor(s) of their choice.

I'll be going to the Fort Lauderale "launch" session this weekend to see if I
can find out more information about this.  In the meantime - if anyone here
can give me additional information - I'd appreciate it.  I was resigned to
spending the $2000+ to upgrade my system - but I'm not going to do it if 10
years of work collecting data becomes worthless.  Doesn't make much sense to
buy a program that's great at testing systems if you can't use the data you've
collected to test your systems.  Robyn