"Jump commands" !?

I just got an error I've never seen before.  I tried to assign a file
name to a string:

  Filename = "C:\abc";

...and the Power Editor gave me the error:

  Error(#92)  You must terminate all jump commands with ends
              (\he, \ve, \we)

Any idea what this means?  I thought maybe "\" was a special "escape"
char to introduce a special multi-character sequence, but then I'd
expect "\\" to map to "\", but that doesn't work.

I worked around it by using "C:\" + "abc", but I'd like to understand
what's going on here...

Gary