RE: Schwager and covered calls

I don't rem,ember reading this in S.. books.  This is not true from a
financial perspective.

a covered call is a combination of a long position in the security and a
short position in the call.  The payoff is not the same.  COnsider that I
own the security.  For every dollar that the security goes up I make 1
dollar.  Now consider that I sell a call.  I take in a fixed set of dollars
that will never change.  If the price of the security goes up $5, then the
price of the call (which we are short) also goes up $5.  Net profit =
$0+fixed premium.  If the price of the security goes down $5, then the price
of the call goes down also(until it gets to $0).  Net profit= -$5 + [$0,$5]
+fixed premium

As you can see, The only reason to have a covered call is if you think the
situation is going to be flat for a while and you're trying to collect the
premium and still hold onto your stock.

Jim