Re: CL_Happy99.exe is a virus

  • To: Code List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CL_Happy99.exe is a virus
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:54:56 -0500 (EST)

"Harold R. Lanier" <hlanier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A XXX YYY just sent me an e-mail via one of the list groups I
> watch that included a virus attachment.  I hope it was by accident,
> but here is my letter to him, if you received a similar e-mail and
> opened the file you are infected.

Further information about this recently-discovered worm is available
at http://www.avp.com/happy/happy.html.  Note that this webpage
points out that the sender DOES NOT know the HAPPY99.EXE file is
attached to his outgoing mail.  The sender is an innocent but
infected-and-infecting victim.

> Friends in the GET group, this virus is real.  Do not open the file.

True!  Delete it without executing it and you should be safe.  And
warn the sender that s/he is propagating the worm, and point him/her
to the webpage above.

Gary