Re: Mandelbrot's article in Scientific American

  • To: "Gaius Marius" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Mandelbrot's article in Scientific American
  • From: "Peter Iovanella" <ivo1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:19:20 -0500 (EST)

I read it, and generally understood his point that 'modern portfolio theory'
is lacking, but while telling the reader that he believes that it is indeed
possible to anticipate huge spikes in profit or loss using his methods, he
doesn't seem to say _how_ to do this.  I assume he would suggest using some
sort of pattern recognition software to identify a 'generator' and then use
his math to figure out possible future moves (multifractals) based on this?
I'm not sure if I got this right, so if anyone else has a clearer picture of
what he was getting at, I'd love to hear it, cuz I was left pretty confused
as to how to apply what he talks about.

Peter