Managing dates in TS/EL

I'm trying to backtest a system over ten years of the Dow 30,
01/01/89--01/01/99.  I have been unable to format price data for this
date range except by doing so one symbol at a time and then the next
time that symbol is accessed the date range has been reset to the
default values.

I've looked at the time and date functions in easy language and can't
find a way to access the date of the bar that is current while the
system is being tested.

I'm sure I'm missing something basic here.  Can you folks point me in
the right direction?

Thank you for your attention.

--
Brad