Re: real-time data

FutureSource does not require a different version of TradeStation, and the
FutureSource people came to my computer and installed the card and set
everything up for me, free of charge (I'm in New York, which is probably
pretty helpful in this on-site respect - they also came out to tweak it in
the first few days when some bugs needed working out, also for free).

If I had the time and any vested interest, I would look through the archives
on this list and count up the number of posts complaining that folks' data
feed off of BMI/Signal has been interrupted, and compare that to the number
of posts regarding FS being down.  Simply going by memory, I'd have to say
that the number of complaints from BMI and/or Signal (the same company, the
same data) far outnumber those about FutureSource.  Given, there are
probably far more customers who use BMI/Signal, but I can't recall a single
instance (save the satellite crash that affected everyone except perhaps
those with direct phone-line connections, like mine) when I've seen a
"FutureSource down?" subject line.  Moreover, in terms of customer service,
my experience in dealing with BMI when I was a customer of theirs was an
absolute nightmare, and this is not an exaggeration.  I never knew what it
was to experience truly awful customer service before I dealt with them.  My
sales rep continually lied to me and to his superiors about my account, and
it took me over three months to recoup what the charged to my credit card
during the trial period and continually after that, even though I had
terminated my service before the trial period was up.

As far as BMI being faster, I can't dispute or confirm that claim, but what
good is being faster if you're not _right_?  FutureSource has automatic
error correction, usually taking down bad prints that come from the
exchanges immediately after they go up, if they come through at all (they
aren't caught by their computer filters before they are transmitted), and if
it misses any in real time, they are automatically corrected when the
service updates and refreshes the data each evening.  As far as I know,
BMI/Signal offer no comparable service.  Again, I can't confirm or dispute
that, though, so someone please correct me publicly (in the name of
even-handedness) if I'm wrong.

Of course, FutureSource offers only futures data for TradeStation, so if you
want to trade stocks, you're gonna need to find some other company, but I
personally would not recommend BMI.

Peter