Re: TS Screen Shots?

Randy <jrehler@xxxxxxxxx> asks:
>I would like to shrink the file size of a screen shot from TS. They
>typically run 1 meg or more. I've tried saving as jpg and gif files,
>but this isn't getting them that much smaller.

Here's my experience, FWIW.  When I hit the print-screen key, and use
the MSWindows Clipboard Viewer to Save As..., my 1024x728 screen gets
saved as just under 1M as type .clp.  I can use MSWindows wimpy
little Paintbrush to save as a 16-color bitmap (.bmp) file, at about
350K, after pasting in directly from the clipboard or the clip viewer.

I used to then use XV in Linux to convert those bitmaps to .gif files,
which came out to about 18K, but I discovered I could just gzip the
bitmap files and they'd be exactly the same size, so now that's
what I do.  I've got all these little xxxx.bmp.gz files lying around.
I believe gzip uses the same compression technique as gif does, so
it makes sense they'd come out the same size.  I made sure to compile
XV with knowledge of gzip, so it can handle the compressed bitmaps
directly, for viewing or other manipulation.

You definitely want gif (or gzipped bmp) rather than jpg for TS screens,
as they'll be a lot more compact.  Jpeg is useful for real-world photos
and such, whereas gif is better at simpler things like charts.

Jim