Re: "Picture.exe" :: old Horse - McAfee

I ran McAfee VirusScan 4.0.   The idea of McAfee's latest enhancements is to catch viruses
before they are downloaded or executed (Java and ActiveX).

Version 4.0 scans all received e-mail attachments of a program type (DLL, Macro, etc.),
including compressed files, which it sounds like includes Picture.exe.   (If you have 4.0
make sure you have scan compressed attachments checked.)   Executed Java and ActiveX are
also scanned, and are referred to as the latest mechanism to pass a virus to the users
computer.   And of course all program files downloaded from the web are scanned as well.

McAfee says 90% of viruses come from attachments to e-mail, such as Microsoft Word
Macro's.   Text e-mails cannot contain viruses, except for the MIME bug someone just
posted about.

I did have McAfee VirusScan FIND a Trojan Hour not to long ago.    I was downloading a
demo program of a commercial product and the download STOPPED with a McAfee message about
a "Trojan Horse".   I discontinued the download and notified the author.   The author
assured me it was a McAfee error because his Norton Anti-Virus had found no viruses on the
web site.

A while later I received a message he had found a virus "problem" and would I download the
file again?   Wonder how many people downloaded that demo, with it's Trojan Horse, before
I found it?

--- Chris