Re: Slow backtesting?

"Gerrit Jacobsen" <jrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since Windows 3.1 is not a multitasking system ...

I'm on Win95, but that's not the issue.  (The 16-bit TS software is
still a CPU hog when it's running something, even on W95.  Which is a
colossal pain in the rear when, for example, it locks up my system
for 5-6 minutes when I start TS and it loads up 4-5 big workspaces.)

> However when you optimize you are still able to interact with the
> system. This is because the Omega propgrammers have made the
> optimization process a kind of multitasking process by giving
> time-slices to other processes during the optimization. This slows
> the optimization calculation down.

I've done hundreds of optimizations, and I've never seen this
behavior before.  Optimization runs normally run at virtually the
same speed as normal non-opt runs.  But this case I ran up against
was 50-100 times slower!  I guarantee you that's not from the
optimization overhead.

Gary