coding a limit on intraday entries

I'm trying to create code that limits the number of intraday entries a
system takes, and I'm having difficulty. I've tried using a flag to register
when conditions exist that trigger trades; then a counter that tabulates
when the flag value changes (in effect, the number of trades); then a
condition that stipulates the counter be less than x number of trades before
a trade is triggered. But it doesn't operate correctly all the time. Has
anyone created the code (or a function) that does this correctly? I would
appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Lincoln