RE: Next bar, next bash (or, learning to recognize what's really important)

Pierre,

You know I've been to just a few titles of french software and they all have
one common trait:  they're way too complex, poorly laid out and generally
overkill for the task.  The effectivenes of the program is severaly hampered
in these cases.  Vantif defect tracking software is a perfect example.  Have
you ever heard of it?   It basically defect tracking software that so
bloated with useless features that it reduces the effectivenes of the
overall program.  Contrast that with DCS used by companies like Intel and
you'll see a world of difference.

And your insistance that paying such huge amount of attention to trivial
detail like what you've outlined below (CPU time, not takling a defensive
stand) should somehow be construed as good programming is yet another
example of pedagouge approach French seem to take to software. I don't know
what you were taught in France but here in America we're taught that
simplicty is better than complexity.  We write and rewrite our papers until
just the esseance of our message is left for the reader to quickly absorb.
In France they must teach something different because you don't seem to do
this.

This concept applied to programming, means learning to recognize what is
important and what isn't important.  Obviously you can't or else you would
recognize the foolishness of you pursuits.

This means asking yourself why am I doing this?  What are my bottom-line
objectives, et. al.  Obviously you don't because you waste too much time on
trivial, meaningless things like CPU time.

I asked myself these questions when I wrote this.  Thus once I had it on
paper, it took a couple minutes to program but longer to verify.  Once I was
done with it, I was done.  I minimized my time and maximized my gain.  My
goals were met.

However, my solution takes a couple lines.  Your alternative solution takes
around 5 lines.  How is this better by your standards?

If you want to be a PEDAGOUGE go ahead be my guest.  But I will tell you the
best solutions are the simplest solutions.  They are more robust and easily
reinterpreted.  And the best programming is defensive, readable programming.

Of course, you've never had exposure TO A REAL PC LANGUAGE  -- YOU"VE STATED
THAT YOUSELF.  IF YOU DID YOU WOULD REALIZE THAT EASY LANGUAGE IS QUIRKY AND
THAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE A MORE DEFESNIVE APPROACH THAN YOU WOULD IN A REAL
LANGUAGE LIKE VB.

Easy Lanagauge not only has a stupid name but the EL really stands for
EXTREMELY LAME.

I agree that elegance is nice but in coding, but computers are so fast that
a little extra defensive code JUST DOESN'T MATTER.

Say it with me Pierre (I know it's hard) - -IT-JUST-DOESN'T-MATTER!!!!

If it takes you an extra week to program your elegant solution that may or
may not save a couple CPU cycles -- yes it's clever -- but your product is a
week late getting to market and now where are you?  Up poop creek I'd say.

Brian.

HOW DARE you cuss at me in French -- Cuz...  Take this you offensive brute:
(beware: my non-american french isn't nearly as good as your english)

Harmonies du soir paysage chasse-neige!!!  Annees de pelerinage aux cypres
de la Villa D' Este -- Les jeux d'eau a la Villa d'Este.