RE: Spammers Taking Over Omega List

**Brian wrote:
** Brian wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From:	Gary Fritz [mailto:fritz@xxxxxxxx]
Sent:	Thursday, November 12, 1998 1:20 PM
To:	omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject:	RE: Spammers Taking Over Omega List

"Brian Massey" <bnm03@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> You are over stating the fact here.  The fact is that within each
> back and forth letter there's a message.  While there may be some
> PG13-level vernacular and carefully chosen French phrases wrapped
> around it, there is still a message.  And if you'd take the time to
> read it and ponder it, you would realize this.

And what I'm saying is that you greatly reduce the chances of ANYone
pondering your message, if you deliver it like a longshoreman with an
attitude problem.  If you want people to take your messages
seriously, I suggest you might want to present them differently.

** I disagree.  I think LARGE TYPE (for visual as well emphasis) gets the
message across.  The large type stands out much clearer.  Eyes are drawn to
it instantly.  Admist all this type those are the take home messages.  And
my longshoreman vernacular is aimed at slimebags that repeatedly bash this
list with their crap.  That's it.  You seem to be referring to a more
constant stream that doesn't exist (except for that blindfolded frenchman).
With reference to you rmeeting analogy, if a spammer called you're right I
wouldn't make a seen espcially if someone was talking but I'd politely
excuse myself then go lay into the guy not only for costing me money on my
cell phone but wasting my time.   I'd be all smiles coming back.

Also unlike a professional meeting this list exists 7 hours a day, 7 days a
week, 365 days a year and so it never goes away.  Unlike a meeting this list
exists for people to not only share ideas (leech off of others) but to
express opinions.  Unlike meetings, spammers and system crooks can reach you
here 7 days a week, 365 days a year and GOD ARE THEY A NUSCANCE.   To stop
the bashing, stop the spamming.  The bashing will stop.

You've completely lost touch with the intent of the original thread in this
letter anyway.  Or do I need to spell that out too for you too?

So Gary you want to stop the bashing?  Then I personally challenge you to
join the ranks of bashers who save this list from the savage cluches of
spammers who don't give a rats ass about you, about the intent or rules of
the list.

Or do you really want to because you're a vendor with something to sell?

PS: My EL code wasn't a MA cross over.  I just sent you all three formulas
at once.  They are easy to verify in EL -- I mean seconds.  But for some
reason you can't  Can you say NO TALENT?  Obviously your looking to scrounge
off of someoneelse's hardwork.  The least you could do was say thanks.  But
then people like you get upset when they don't get exactly what they want or
what they think they're going to get.

Suonds like a vendor to me.

> "I  remember how nice it was before the marketeers descended upon us
> like a flock of vultures."
> Thank you for proving once again that bashers are needed on this
> list.  It doesn't do much for your argument though.

You are making the unproven assumption that bashing *helps* the
marketeer situation.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  But I *guarantee* you that it
raises the level of noise, lowers the quality of discussion, and
chases away a lot of people who could contribute valuable insights.

> "How many of you bashers scream epithets into the phone when a
> telemarketer calls?"
> Absolutelyl and I do.

Yes, at home I don't doubt that you do.  But after I posted this I
realized there was a better analogy.  Suppose you were at a meeting
or convention with hundreds of your colleagues.  Now suppose some
teleslime called you on your cellphone in the middle of a meeting.
Would you stand on your chair and scream and swear and pitch a fit at
the slime, right in the middle of the meeting, thereby disrupting the
entire meeting and annoying all your colleages?  Because that's an
*EXACT* analogy to what you do when you vent at a spammer on the list.

I suspect you wouldn't do that.  (If you would, I hope I never sit
next to you at a meeting. :-)  More likely you'd just quietly tell
the creep to buzz off, hang up, and return your attention to the
meeting.  WITHOUT disrupting the entire meeting in the process.
Maybe you'd warn your colleagues away from doing business with the
slime's company, but probably without screaming at the slime while
you did it.  Why can't you do that on the list?

> PS:  I hope you realize that EVEN BASHERS LIKE ME LIKE TO HELP
> PEOPLE LIKE YOU TRADE BETTER!!!!!!!!  How's the EL code I sent you
> the other day working out?

Yes, when you're not insulting someone, you can be very helpful.  I'd
rather see you spend your efforts productively like that -- we'd all
benefit more.

(What EL code?  Do you mean the 3-line trend indicator you sent me 2
weeks ago after I asked you about your comment about Linda Raschke?
It didn't verify, and I didn't bother fooling with it.  No offense
intended, but I don't use simple MA crossings very much.  Maybe if I
studied LBR's materials I'd get more benefit out of it.)

That's enough from me.  I don't want to keep dragging this out.
I'm climbing off my soapbox now.

Gary