FW: Construction of trading signals

>>Why would one want to be in a long position if you would NOT buy at this
price level. The above code leaves you in long or short position although
the condition for purchase or sell is not satisfied anymore.<<

Probably because the cost of entering a trade is greater than the cost of
being in a trade.  Your arguement is logical when entering and exiting has
no cost (zero slippage and commission).  Under that condition, one could
enter and exit hundreds of times each day, picking only the most promising
moments.  However, in practice, S&C would eat you alive, so there is a
trade-off between profits and costs, causing the optimal solution to have
fewer entries and exits.

It may be that a slight increase in exits would be more profitable than the
drastic one proposed.  In this respect, fuzzy logic (FL) is a powerful and
extremely simple way to attain just the right level of discrimination.  A
trivial, yet sometimes effective FL technique is to have several
indicators, each scaled to a range of 0 to 1, and then add them all up.
 Now you compare the sum to a threshold.  This way, a strong indication by
one could compensate for a mild indication by another.  Now, you can
control the amount of exits by raising or lowering the threshold.
 Somewhere there will be an optimal threshold level, or two.  :-)

- Mark Jurik