Re: Spammers Taking Over Omega List

Doug Deming wrote:

> >Without the bashers you might as well call this list the Omega Spam List.
>
> snip...
>
> The Omega-List ran for years without the "help" of bashers. It contained a
> lot of helpful information and only on occasion did we have a problem with
> spammers.

I'm sure it did. In fact USENET operated in the same fashion for years -
until 1994 when Internet was 'opened' to the general public.  Two
immigration lawyers started a massive advertising campaign by posting
commercial messages on a variety of newsgroups.  One of them went on to
write a book on how spam the newsgroups.  Since then, USENET has changed
dramitically and continues to have problems with spammers.  The Omega
list most likely has fallen victim to this same new 'revolution'.