Full throttle mainboard desirable ?

I am running my serial ports through a multi I/O ISA adapter.

Has anyone get any experience regarding the data losses on the serial
port when the
"passive release" and "delayed transaction"
features on the mainboard are activated ?

These options are highly desirable because the serial comnunication
sucks up an immense amount of CPU time.

In theory the PCI and ISA bus can work parallel but it seems that
data losses are more common when the above features are enabled.

Can anyone shed anymore light on the issue ?

Gerrit Jacobsen