Re: MarketTiming SPAM

Peter2150@xxxxxxx writes:

>>  >    From: jonny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>  >    Received: from 210.154.58.3 by sun.tck.ac.jp
>>  (8.8.7/3.6Wbeta5+97081211) id UAA07753;
>>  >        Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:24:30 +0900 (JST)
>
>I didn't get this particular piece of spam, but if that is his real E-Mail
>address(check the headers) then forward it with a complaint to
>abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   They will take care of it.

The Received: lines are the only reliable trace, and generally only
the uppermost one is reliable; everything else is trivial to forge
and is almost always forged.  If the above header is reliable, the
spammer sent it from "sun.tck.ac.jp".  You'd need to do a whois
lookup to see the info on that site, who their upstream provider
is, etc.  With so many ISPs dedicated to providing spam services
for their customers, you often need to complain to the backbone
providers, or just block that ISP's IP address.

With the US lawmakers considering laws to legalize spam, as long
as it has an "opt out" address, everyone who resents getting this
sort of garbage might want to make their feelings known to their
representatives.
--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list