Function Surprise

  Taking a function that was defined inside the individual system files,
I decided to remove the definition from the system files and define it in a
function file in order to create additional space within the system files.
  To my surprise, the exercise produced results opposite to my
intentions.
  The system file is now out of memory when I verify even though there is
less actual code in the file.
  The function returns a numeric value and the properties are set to series.
the variable is referred to dozens of times within the system file.
  What gives???

dbs