Re: Where's the Board???

Dans un courrier daté du 24/10/98 22:00:51é Pari51 Madrid,
doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

>  >PS: Yes, Earl does post on TradeLab.  But of course you knew that....
>
>  Actually I don't subscribe to the TradeLab list. Is it also a general
>  purpose list ?

Not exactly a general purpose list.
It's currently a description list of the TradeLab features, where some
infamous individuals on this list are so polite there that you could not
believe they are the same.

The difference is that he list is moderated by Bob Brickey, and they know that
he will not allow on his lists what happens on Omega List ( that is obviously
not moderated).

Contents are informative, and sometimes a little bit annoying because Bob
oftens compares the features of TradeLab (32 bits, new product) with
TradeStation4 that is 16 bits and now 4 years and old technology.
This said, it's often very interesting as he his perfectly masters anything
close to programming , cycles and neural net analysis.

And the winner is...Tradelad, of course. What is a normal thing, not because
of Bob , but because they are comparing  Apollo with the Space Shuttle.
No mention of TS5 ( I think they do not have enough information on it). They
claim that alot of features will be available in TradeLab (true), that are not
present in TS4 (true), but a lot are in TS5.

The site is currently Visual Basic vs Easy Language  oriented  with some
examples.

My opinion is that TradeLab will be a very good product but it will never have
the TradeStation audience, due to the difficulty of the VB language that, if
more powerful than EL is not so easy, even if statements and syntaxes are
similar at a first glance. However, it has its niche.

Due to the numerous mistakes that people are doing with Easy Language, it's
obvious to me that they will do more with VB, and that only true programmers
will really be able to use it as expected.

I rather see TradeLab as a high end specialized products devoted to real
programmers that cannot cope with the EL facilities ( they name this bugs or
misprogramming or Bill Cruz' evildoer) and want to go further.

Do not believe me?
Let's take an example posted here 1 day ago:

<<<
The following formula attempts to deal with this.  It is from the book
by Ulf Jensen "How I Tripled My Money In The Futures Market", p.83.  It
shows successive derivatives: Velocity, Momentum, and what he calls
Kurtosis:

VALUE1 = @MOMENTUM(C,3);
VALUE2 = @MOMENTUM(C,3)[1];
VALUE3 = .03*(VALUE1-VALUE2)+(1-.03)*VALUE3;
VALUE4 = WAVERAGE((VALUE3),3);
INPUT:BUYZONE(0);
PLOT1(VALUE3,"FK");
PLOT2(VALUE4,"FSK");
PLOT3(BUYZONE,"BZ");

The above example could be from the book " How I tripled my TS calculation
time  with EL pig programming".

When I see things like this, I have no doubt that the average trader has only
benefits to use Easy Language that allows such ridiculous things (VB does,
too, and allows more mistakes because it's a general purpose language).
My point was, when someone is not able to detect misprogramming with EL, it
will fail with VB, therefore my reflexion on VB that is not so well suited to
the average trader. Experienced programmers will certainly like it.
I'll probably buy a copy if it runs on top of TS5, because it could be helpful
, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to use it correctly, because I'm not a
professional programmer ( The Safir-X software has been developped by
JewelSoft, not by myself).

Also, I would like to see how this will turn and observe some current human
behaviour closer than before in the future.

Well, back to my mentally restricted area ( EL coding):

Lets take the first 3 lines
VALUE1 = @MOMENTUM(C,3);
VALUE2 = @MOMENTUM(C,3)[1];
VALUE3 = .03*(VALUE1-VALUE2)+(1-.03)*VALUE3;

In fact, momentum has not to be calculated twice.
This is how we spare calculations:
Value1= c-c[3];
Value2= c[1]-c[4];
Value3= value1-value2= c-c[3] -(c(1]-c[4]) = (c-c[1] ) - (c[3]-c[4]);

Sould be now obvious to anyone that this could reduce to:

Value0=c-c[1];
Value3= .03*(value0-value0[3])+ (1-.03*)value3;

(could also replace 1-0.03 by .97)

If I remember, they have seminar on VB and TradeLab  this week end.
You were wondering why the Omega List was so quiet and quite bashing free
these days ?
Do not think more: They are in Salt Lake and have no time to bash on the Omega
List.
We may consider this holy week end as  short vacations for all of us.

I think that we deserve it, even if too sparse.

Sincerely,

-Pierre Orphelin
www.sirtrade.com