Re: BMI - Changes/Delays in Option/Equity Data

>>I encourage all BMI users to write a similar (or just copy this email)
>>letter to BMI. We shouldn't stand by  while they diminish our  service.
>>Please take the time to write to BMI  regarding this so called improvement.
>>Together our voices  will be heard.

I sent the following message to BMI Tuesday:

> I'v been trying to ignore the lag in the equity quotes coming into my
> TradeStation v4 cable system, but it really is affecting my trading. Several
> times in the past few weeks I have put in stop limit orders to buy only to
> discover later that the price had already lifted from the quote I had.
>
> I can understand "technological challenges," but this has been going on
> far too long. Now your estimate for coming up with a plan of action is "by
> the end of next week." That's a minimum of two more weeks of lagging
> quotes. If your third party provider can't resolve this issue immediately,
> then you should discontinue use of this provider immediately. We are
> paying big bucks for real time quotes, as long as we are getting delayed,
> quotes we should be paying for delayed quotes.
>
> Please don't apologize for "any inconvenience," we are suffering real
> losses out here.

Their reply did not address any of my concerns:

> Thank you for your message.  We are implementing changes on our datafeed in
> two steps.  The first step should be complete on 11/2/98, while the second
> step will be completed on 12/1/98, but not later that 12/15/98.

> Our programmers and network operations staff are working very hard on
> converting our
> data feed from it's current format to another.  This takes time not only to
> do the work, but to test it and make sure that there are as few problems as
> possible.  The dates I gave you are ones that we hope to accomplish this
> work by.  This conversion must be completed by 12/15/98.  The work that our
> programmers and network operations staff is doing would normally take six to
> eight months, but in an effort to resolve this issue as quickly as possible,
> we have set up this greatly accelerated schedule.

Sounds like we have a minimum of two more months of this. Then there was
that lovely 39 minute black out at the open this morning...I'll be
badgering them by phone since e-mail is too easy to blow off. We should not
be paying full price for mediocre service that goes on for months.