Re: Market Manipulation

Lamont, most of the hedge funds have been long the dollar & bonds and short
the yen.  They've basically been borrowing money from banks in Japan for
virtually nothing, converting it into dollars, and buying bonds.  They've
made a killing up until now off the interest spread and the rising dollar.

In order to get out of this trade, they've been selling bonds & dollars and
buying yen to pay off the loans.  If the Fed wanted to help them ease out of
these trades, they would have been BUYING dollars, not selling them.  I
obviously have no idea whether the fed did this or not, but if they did, it
didn't do much good.  The dollar got hammered last week and the Tiger hedge
fund lost $2 billion on Wednesday alone converting their dollars into yen.
I don't see much manipulation in that.

The real question is why have the hedge funds suddenly turned so sour on
this trade?  Is it possible they think the worst is over in Asia and the yen
will begin to appreciate soon based on the fundamentals?

Just something to think about...

Bruce