Protection issues

Was Re : OMGA Hits New Lows

Dans un courrier daté du 10/10/98 18:07:11  , vous avez écrit :

<<
 Pierre - you mentioned that DLL's could be used within TradeStation to offer
 better protection that the EL password scheme.  Can you offer a few more
 details as to how this would be done?

The problem with the current password protection sscheme is that  the source
code is included in any ELA file, protected or not in the power editor, making
some astute hackers able to to build a software that reads the password when
importing the so called protected fle into the power editor.
When importing, the code verifies (means that it compiles on your machine,
like when hitting the F3 key, because the source cde is crypted , but
present).

TS must read the password to read the  source code and be able to compile. So,
the machine reads the password at a certain time. Not so difficult to read it
at this moment (personallly I cannot do it , but I'm not a hacker).

Doug Deming produced an encryption scheme for use with EL and some DLL finger
printing  coding (Diamond Lock)
You can refer to it if you need to know more

TS5 has the ability to import already compiled files, so no  EL source code is
given away.

The DLL solution is very similar , because we import a compiled code that is
called by a dummy EL code that has nothing worth to be protected in it.

So , you are unable to see what's inside he DLL. Better than nothing, but it's
not a 100% safe method.
No safe method exists...and no 100% sure protection exist.
I's only a matter of finding the genius hacker that will break your code. Or
to find  the money to pay some high end programmer.

W have found an other method with neurofuzzy logic running in TS.
We have the C++ source code, but it sometime took days to understand what's
wrong in it during the development phase.
Once compiled, it's not a piece of cake to break it running under a
disassembler and understand what it does in the background!

Sincerely,

Pierre Orphelin