Hedge Funds, Revisited

"A worried group of leading US bankers goes into a secret, smoke-filled meeting
on Wall Street and emerges with a plan to stop contagion spreading through US
markets. September 1998? No. October 24, 1929, at the start of the crash, when
J.P. Morgan and its allies famously stepped into the market in an
attempt--briefly successful--to restore confidence...the bailout of Long Term
Capital demonstrates the extent to which the global financial crisis is now
touching the US..." [Financial Times, Friday September 25, 1998. I thank Bob
McGovern for pointing this quote out to me in his wonderful 'Spreading
Nite-Fax.']