Re: Hedge Fund Blowups

Stewart Taylor wrote:
> <snip>
> As far as Im concerned, these kinds of behaviors should be considered
> criminal and the principles prosecuted under RICO. You can't convince me
> that the vast majority of these guys don't know better.  Ive been around to
> many of them to believe otherwise.

Excellent post, Stewart.  But who says these kinds of behaviors
["Leverage x 50 - 100 - 200 times"] aren't criminal?

If such behaviors are not criminal, then I would think those in charge
of regulating such matters are themselves guilty of (at the very least)
criminal negligence.

My God...it's like the insurance company telling me it's ok to store
50-gallon gas cans next to my wood stove. Anything wrong with with that
picture?  I mean, what are we talking here...Sheer Stupidity, Pure
Ignorance, or Criminal Negligence?   It *HAS* to be one of the three.

In either case (Hedge Fund or Hedge Fund Regulators), your idea of
possibly prosecuting those responsible under the RICO statutes deserves
serious consideration.  Sounds to me like another Savings and Loan
fiasco in the making...this one carrying the potential of being several
orders of magnitude worse given a global economy teetering on the brink
of recession.

If anyone on this List could address some of the questions which Stewart
has so appropriately raised, I'm sure there would be many of us very
interested in hearing what you would be willing to offer.

Is this a matter for Congress to look into?  If so, I'd much rather see
them spending time on these types of matters than poking their
collective noses into The Mis-adventures of Little Willie (which Hillary
could resolve at anytime..."They Found WHAT on the White House Lawn???"
:-)

Dave