Re: Hedge Fund

Dave:

One of the problems with these matters is that in many circumstances, there are
no regulations or it isn't clear which agency has jurisdiction. These funds
often don't get attention until they are on fire.

I spent a good deal of time running what was essentially a hedge fund and then
managed an off-shore fund. The reason funds like this are attractive is because
they are basically unregulated. I can't speak about the LT fund that has
basically become illiquid, but I know many of the managers of such funds. I have
watched a few friends that were really savvy traders turn a wonderful fund into
an empty shell that ended in litigation.

Someone posted here that the managers of such funds were indemnified from
prosecution--I would say this is not generally true. There are always ways to
get to the managers, and in the past five years, many managers have found
themselves staring down the uncomfortable hand that held out a subpoena.

I personally have been passing on opportunites to manage off-shore capital,
other than my own, because of the litigious environment.

I hope that answers some questions. If you have some specific questions, I'll
try to answer them if I can.

Best,

Tim Morge