Re: TL_Easy Language Mathematical Precision

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: TL_Easy Language Mathematical Precision
  • From: VISTA Research and Trading <skt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:49:18 -0400 (EDT)

James,

	Floating point values (real numbers) are indeed stored as four byte
(single precision) reals.

	I once approached Perry Kaufman with the question posed below.  His
response was that there are virtually no calculations we perform on price
data that require greater precision.

	In the occasion that greater precision is required it is possible to
perform them in an external DLL using double precision values but, indeed,
the return value must once again be a single precision number.

Samuel

At 04:43 PM 09/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>From: tagteam@xxxxxxx (James F. Mazzulla)
>To: sci@xxxxxxxxxx
>Cc: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: TL_Easy Language Mathematical Precision
>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:10:28 GMT
>
>On Wed, 23 Sep 98, Bob Brickey wrote:
>>Even though it is possible to print more precise-looking numbers on the
screen, TS4 and TS5 both perform mathematical calculations using what is
called "Single Precision" in Visual Basic.  Easy Language function
arguments are passed as Single Precision values.  Results are returned as
Single Precision values.

>Thanks for the clarification, Bob. Can you tell us if this is
=particularly= problematic and, if so, what, if any, course of action needs
be taken?  TIA

>Best regards,  Jim

    Samuel K. Tennis      VISTA Research and Trading, Inc.
    8103 Camino Real C-409          voice: 1(305) 273-1321
    S. Miami, FL  33143               fax: 1(305) 273-9164
    skt@xxxxxxxxx                    http://www.vista.com/
           ***** Easy Language Spoken Here *****