Re: TS in today's WSJ

hi here is the article for thise who don't subscribe to the wsj online
rich t
The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition -- September 21, 1998
                   Users of System-Trading Software
                   Can Be Their Own Worst Enemy

                   By ROBERT E. CALEM
                   Special to THE WALL STREET JOURNAL INTERACTIVE EDITION

                   Tired of incurring losses from bad trading decisions, Sonny
Esposito of
                   Centreville, Va., last March went in search of an electronic
wizard to
                   reverse his fortunes. After some careful sleuthing, he
believes he's found
                   one, in the form of system-trading software.

                   The software follows built-in sets of rules culled from
statistical research
                   that dictate when a trader should buy or sell a stock, index
fund,
                   commodities or other securities. And Mr. Esposito and other
proponents
                   of such programs say that, more often than not, the software
does
                   generate profits.

                   But even those who swear by system-trading software concede
that it
                   doesn't work under certain market conditions. Moreover, they
add, to
                   derive the greatest benefit from the software it is vital to
follow its
                   commands religiously. That means users must trust it
implicitly and ignore
                   any emotional inclination to trade against its
recommendations -- a tenet
                   which is easier said than done.

                   "It's hard to shut your emotions completely down when it's
your money in
                   the marketplace," says Dennis Ward, a stock broker and
investment
                   advisor in Fort Worth, Tex., who uses system-trading software
for himself
                   and his clients. "But emotions really are your enemy. If you
let your
                   emotions dictate your trading decisions in today's market, I
do not believe
                   you will be a successful investor. You need a tool to
equalize all the
                   market vagaries, and so I believe in system-trading"
software, he says.

                   The system-trading program that both Messrs. Ward and
Esposito use is
                   Indigo, from MicroStar Research & Trading Inc. of Sarasota,
Fla. The
                   program is available in two formats: as a software package
for Microsoft
                   Windows, or built into a subscription-based Web site. The
software
                   package costs about $2,700, and offers more features than the
company's
                   Web site, which charges approximately $700 for six months.

                   Since he started using the Indigo software package, Mr.
Esposito says his
                   portfolio is up more than 100%, rescuing his portfolio from
the near
                   wipeout he'd suffered by following his own emotions. Mr.
Esposito says
                   he recouped the cost of the Indigo software in the first
month he used it.

                                           Mr. Ward says he chose Indigo in June

                                           1997 after testing several
system-trading
                                           software programs that claimed to
help
                                           investors take advantage of market
                                           volatility. He used the software to
simulate
                                           trades before investing real money in

                                           August 1997, after the trial proved
                                           successful. In the last four months
of last
                                           year, he says, Indigo rewarded him
and
                   his clients with real returns on investments averaging 40%.

                   In addition, during the wild market swings of recent weeks,
Mr. Ward
                   says Indigo's recommendations have been "superlative."

                   Greg Meyer of Santee, Calif., swears by rival TradeStation, a

                   system-trading program produced by Omega Research Inc. of
Miami. "I
                   couldn't trade without it," he says. "With TradeStation, I've
been able to
                   develop a systematic method of trading that tells me when to
get into the
                   market, when to get out of the market, and also gives me
discipline. I trust
                   my system and I do not try to second guess it."

                   Whereas Indigo offers a large selection of pre-set trading
rules and
                   investment portfolios, along with trading instructions for
the next day that
                   can be downloaded from its Web site each night, TradeStation
is aimed at
                   traders who want to build their own systems and get trading
instructions
                   during the day when markets are open. Priced at about $2,400,

                   TradeStation also is slightly less expensive than Indigo.

                   An upgraded version of TradeStation, expected to be available
in
                   October, will have Web integration, says Janette Perez, vice
president,
                   sales and marketing at Omega Research. It will allow
investors to connect
                   to financial news sites, investment forums such as The Motley
Fool, and
                   on-line brokers like E*Trade Group for order execution, Ms.
Perez says.

                   Some traders who have tried both programs say Indigo is the
easier to
                   master. Frank Alexander of Arlington, Texas, says
TradeStation is
                   "extremely complex, but it's a beautiful program if you've
got time to sit
                   down and learn it." To simplify using TradeStation, Mr.
Alexander says he
                   purchased a couple of add-on programs from third-party
vendors. (More
                   than 200 companies sell add-on programs, education and
investment
                   services for TradeStation, according to Omega Research.)

                   Mr. Alexander says he likes the automatic nature of Indigo's
pre-built
                   systems and portfolios of stocks and mutual funds, and the
ready-made
                   downloadable trading instructions. Indigo is much easier to
learn, he says,
                   and has given him better returns on his investments than
TradeStation.

                   But Mr. Alexander also believes his comparison is not
entirely fair because
                   he doesn't use both programs the same way, and he has owned
Indigo
                   much longer, giving that program the benefit of more time to
prove itself.
                   He trades futures and options using TradeStation, but prefers
Indigo to
                   trade stocks. And whereas Mr. Alexander has used Indigo since

                   November 1997, he purchased TradeStation only four months
ago.

                   Mr. Esposito says he switched to Indigo after first trying
TradeStation. He
                   found TradeStation too difficult to learn and use, and sent
it back to
                   Omega Research during the company's 30-day trial period.

                   Caitlin Cavalier, a user of TradeStation who lives in San
Francisco, says
                   she had no difficulty building a trading system with the
software, despite a
                   lack of programming experience. Still, she says, it took six
months of
                   practicing and testing the system with simulated trades, for
three to four
                   hours a day, to learn how to properly use TradeStation.

                   Her own testing of TradeStation proved that system trading
leads to more
                   positive outcomes than either random picks or going on
intuition to make
                   buying or selling decisions. For example, Ms. Cavalier says
that using a
                   feature named "backtesting" which is built into the software,
she
                   discovered that randomly trading the Standard & Poor's
Futures Index
                   would have returned 100% over the past six months, whereas
trading with
                   TradeStation's "moving average" system would have earned a
300%
                   return. By comparison, following her instinct lost her 300%,
Ms. Cavalier
                   says.

                   System-trading programs also have Achilles heels, the traders
noted. Mr.
                   Ward, the stock broker, says they don't work well in what he
describes as
                   "choppy markets," such as where the Dow Jones Industrial
Average
                   gyrates up and down in a 100- to 200-point range.

                   And even the makers of the software admit that the products
are only as
                   good as their customers' commitment to them -- a fact that
Ms. Cavalier
                   learned the hard way. She has lost money since buying
TradeStation a
                   year ago, she says, because she didn't always follow its
instructions.

                   In a perfect world, system-trading software "takes emotion
out of the
                   trading. It takes out fear and greed and replaces them with
logic and
                   reason, which is what we should use. But as human beings we
rarely do,"
                   declares Greg Roper, MicroStar's sales manager.

                   "It's a scary thing to surrender to automatic pilot," Ms.
Cavalier says.
                   "There's these bizarre emotions that defeat you." Now she
vows she will
                   "surrender to the mechanical system."