Re: Y2K Testing

Mike Gossland <gossland@xxxxxxxxxx> wonders:

>It's neat that you can generate 3.5 data at will. I remember you saying
>earlier that the compression in 4.0 format has spoiled this approach.
>
>What I wonder is: If you can create data in 3.5 format,
>why can't you turn it into 4.0 format with Omega's own
>data conversion program that is supplied with 4.0?
>Then you wouldn't have to unravel 4.0's storage scheme.

I think you can convert to 4.0 this way, and, I suppose,
4.0 users can confirm this capability if they've imported
my SP rollover data.  The problem is just that once the
data is inside TS 4.0, you can't copy it back out, in
any readable form.  I think, but again haven't confirmed,
that you could look at the raw data by examining the
40bonn.dat file.  And, in fact, extracting data from that
file is a possible route of getting data out of TS 4.0.
But that file is typically huge, and thus makes working
with it awkward.  If you can't look directly at the data,
you have to trust TS charting to tell you about it, and
I'm not sure that's a fully trustworthy agent.

Jim