RE: EXE Code Too Large

Mark,

There is no doubt using an external, global product is going to be slower!
However you are comparing Apples with Oranges.

1)  Hashnums is designed to structure data as Symbolic objects, ie
    a thing with a Name and many Attributes (strings or numbers) with
    an array as a side feature.
    It is not designed as a simple external array, it has many other
    features that of course have trade offs. The array features are
    not optomised as its main use is the symbolic structuring of
    data that can be mapped to CSV files!
    Indeed it is more than an Array, as storing items at indexes:
    1,   3000, and 100000
    will only allocate memory for 3 Floats. To do this in Tradestation
    requires allocating data for 100000 items!

    So a comparison cannot be made !

2)  Tell me how you use Tradestations Arrays when you hit the 64K barrier.
     It would be silly to use Hashnums when you can use inbuilt
     Tradestation tools, in this case inbuilt arrays will, no doubt, be faster.

3)  Tell me the speed when you write these values out to a file?

4)  Hashnums allows all this data to be read by any Dll compliant program
    or langauge, Excel, Visual Basic, C++, The manual provides
    example code for these. If you let us know what problem you're having
    we may be able to help.

5) I have done speed tests with HASHNUMS.
    Processing a 2 minute Bar Chart with 8751 Bars ( A 1 minute
    bar chart had too much data for Tradestation) storing and retrieving
    20 symbolic variables (see below) on every bar took:
	- With Hashnums  (Put + Get)		12 seconds
   	- Tradestaion Arrays			10 seconds
    - Done on a Pentium 120 with 32 meg of Memory.
    - on my Pentium 350 with 256 meg of memory I could not
      ever time the difference!!

It is quite simple to write a super fast global DLL that only stores
data by an array Index,  a tool like Global Variables Pro would be a
good choice. We can create one for you if you want, but all the
other features of Hashnums are what makes it useful!  We have not yet
found a case where the features and flexibility of hashnums don't
outweigh any overheads.

Example of a portion of test code:

putAt("BarData", "CurrentBar", CurrentBar);
putAt("BarData", "Open", Open);
myBar = getAt("BarData", "CurrentBar");
myOpen = getAt("BarData", "Open");