Re: S&P Tick Counts

Subject: Re: S&P Tick Counts

>PC Quote runs on Unix??!? The literature I have says it only runs on
Windows 95 and NT.

Actually, I made a mistake and you have made me think about it for a minute.
What we do is run IBM OS2 Warp on a PC.  That PC has a Unix interface that
PC Quote provides, called a Unix server.  That piece of software allows
multiple simultaneous multiple queries of data form different computers on
the network.  We also pay 300.00 a month extra to get the Software
Developers Kit which provides us with all historical data going back to the
beginning of time.  This storage of data on a network provides ultra fast,
very reliable data delivery and lets the charting computers do best what
they need to be doing.  Instead of getting all bogged down doing server
work.  I have also found the persuasion of the charting to be more accurate
that the conventional way of both server and charting on the same computer.
This is exactly what spurred me to work on splitting TS over a network.  PC
Quote is pretty reliable and fast, they recommend that you have at least a
200 Pent. with 128 megs ram just to collect data for a setup like we have.
Otherwise you can expect data buffer overflow.  Which is exactly what many
of you guys are experiencing when you compare ticks sent each day.  Omega
doesn't have a box that shows how many data bits are being dumped per
second, PC Quote has this and its neat to have.  You can see exactly how
many if any data bits are being dumped because of the processor being tied
up.  Omega dare not install something like this you think?

Mark Brown

>In a message dated 98-09-11 23:32:32 EDT, markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> I have PC Quote running on HP UX, which is their flavor of Unix-windoze.
They have been a Unix development concern for 10 years I know.