Re: optimal f values

Hey Dave

Check on pg 81 about comparing trading systems in the Mathematics of
Money Management book.

Have a look at the example that follows on pg 81.  You want to maximise
geometric mean (return) whilst at the same time minimise optimal f
(risk).  And yes of course these are contradictory!!!

In practice I found that systems with higher gmeans also tend to have
higher optfs - I think this is what Vince is alluding to in your quote
below.  It is very difficult to design high return low risk systems -
shame huh?

So that leaves us with a tradeoff, the question is how to choose between
different combinations of gmean/optf?
I don't have a thoroughly researched answer to that question.  Frankly I
am more concerned with first satisfying the underlying assumptions, like
the system having a positive mathematical expectation (not
historical!!!).  Crystal ball please...

The rest comes easy-er . . .

Later

Peter