Re: S&P Tick Counts

JIMO wrote:

> Looking at tick counts for the 24-hour sessions, they seem about
> what I'd expect, 6-8K, and nearly 10K on 8.28.  I just thought
> the volatility had scared off the little guys like me, that each
> of those ticks was representing a lot more contracts than formerly.
>
> So, what's the real story?  Is BMI choking off the ticks somehow?

First, the CME maintains separate files of the day and night (GLOBEX)
data, and the file entries contain time stamps so there is absolutely no
ambiguity about the session in which a price occurred.  Also, up until a
couple of months or so ago, our counts came MUCH closer to counts based
upon the CME files.

Second, the problem is not just BMI - I'm on Signal.  Also, the problem
is not dependent upon the distribution mode - even subscribers receiving
data via satellite are seeing this radical reduction.

My opinion is that DBC's distribution infrastructure has simply reached
its limit and become saturated by the increased pace of market activity
and volume - I think it's BEYOND saturation.  I suspect that this is the
root cause for MOST of the strange problems we have begun to see lately
- data outages, bizarre data corruption (wild tick-by-tick jumps up and
down of five points or more in the S&P), serious time skew (late data),
and so on.

We must all let DBC know, in no uncertain terms, that this is
unacceptable for what is sold as a "real-time" market-data service.  If
we're only going to receive half the data, we should pay only half the
price!

Carroll Slemaker