Re: Off topic: Spammers

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Earl Adamy wrote:

> I figure it would take a mailing list programmer all of about 15 minutes to
> code around 80% of he obvious "no spam" email addresses. Wouldn't take more
> than a couple of days to write a program to seek and interpret the "no spam"
> decoding instructions provided by the posters. Either the mailers are idiots
> or the "no spam" stuff must not be very effective. I would never post
> anything to Usenet without an email alias for that specific purpose.

No kidding. Simply using a regex like $email =~ s/NOSPAM//; would yield a
large number of addresses, as would removing capital letters. I'm
surprised that someone hasn't started offering a nickel bounty for
demunged addresses. The best approach to use if you do not want to use
your real address (e.g. you don't know how to use a procmail filter) is to
get one of those free email addresses from hotmail, etc. and use that. No
more spam and you are complying with Usenet guidelines. If your ISP
provides additional email addresses, you can set up an address for Usenet
use and redirect email to that address to /dev/null. Keep in mind that if
you have a real problem and are asking for assistance in a newsgroup, that
many, myself included, will not reply to a munged address.

Cheers,

Jim