Re: off Subject #62

Robert, Brian, James, and other conspiracy theorists...

Can't disagree more about the supposed lollipops McGuire has been seeing, and
especially last night.
I've been involved in professional baseball since 1974, as a minor leaguer and
in various scouting
activities. I'm currently under contract as an associate scout for Seattle, and
worked for LA before that so I think I can speak with a bit more insight than
the casual fan. You say "All his HR pitches were down and inside or across the
plate." As opposed to what, high and outside and a foot off of the plate? C'mon
guys, ever hear of waiting for your pitch, knowing your strengths and
weaknesses, etc. I'm sure you have, or you wouldn't be successfully trading.
Trachsel was pitching a great game up to that point, and made a pretty damned
good pitch to McGuire that he just turned around, hit it so hard that it still
hadtop spin from that uppercut and might have gone through the wall if it was a
foot lower. I wonder how many other big leaguers woulda, even coulda, done the
same? Sure there are advanced scouting reports, did ya miss the shift most teams
have been pulling when he is at the plate? And how about the first 50 this year?
Or the 59 he hit last year? What, these pitchers don't like to compete? C'mon
again. These guys are the best at their sport in the world, and they don't want
to get beat by anyone (well, 99% of 'em anyhow). Maybe it wasn't where YOU guys
woulda pitched him, but it sure wasn't some BP pitch that he just laid in there.
Have you guys seen him take BP? He only hits about half of them out during that
and he's really getting lollipops then. Probably most important, in case you
guys haven't noticed, the Cubs happen to be in a wildcard battle with the Mets
and Giants and there are only 17 games left, so I don't think Trachsel wanted to
either hurt his teams chances of winning or go down in the record books as the
guy who gave up number 62. Lastly, if you guys want to blame anything for the
record being broken I suggest you try another route. Remember that there was
expansion in '61 also, and today's talent is somewhat diluted due to the same
this year.

Now I don't know how to relate this to trading, but maybe using an analogy
that's kinda out there will
suffice, I'll give it a try anyway. Let's suppose that public records are kept
from every trade made in
the SP pit, and there's a big board with a record of every traders P&L shown as
total points up or
down on the year. Trader X was the big winner last year, almost broke a 37 year
old record last year
and has really been consistent over time, one of the really big hitters so to
speak. Wow, ya gotta be
careful when trading with this guy. Everyone knows now from observation how he
likes too trade, and
the setups for his biggest point winners over the years. Well, right now trader
X is on the cusp of
breaking the old single year record and the world is a hush as all eyes focus on
Trader X as he steps
into the pit to put on a position that might be the one that puts him in the
books. Now here you are,
Trader Z, a quite accomplished trader in your own right or you wouldn't be there
and you're face to
face with Trader X. You have your reputation too, and you think you can grab a
point or so from
Trader X or you wouldn't competing and it's what your work shows you should do.
So you bravely
follow your plan and take the other side of Trader X's position, but whoops,
your were wrong. Not by
much, you just missed, but Trader X hit his pitch, err, got just enough of your
mistake to put him in the
record books. The crowd around the pits break into cheer, they halt trading for
15 minutes as the world watches Trader X relish his moment in the spotlight. And
there you are, Trader Z, disappointed just a
bit that you just missed by a tiny bit but will recover, and the guy that all of
conspiracy theorists are talking about the next day, saying what a lollipop you
threw him. "Didn't he know that trader X liked that kind of setup?" they ask.
"Yeah, and they've been doing it for weeks too just to help him get the record,
and besides, it's good for business..."

--
best,
Mike