RE: "Corel backs Linux"

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Brian Massey wrote:

> I'm not a huge fan of MS software either but I most of mine is.  I went
> fishing over the weekend and talked to a financial analyst who works at
> Microsoft.  He said that Microsoft was indeed setting its sights on the
> domain of Unix.  NT5 is supposed to be super secure and powerful at
> multitasking among other things.  Most MS employees are using it now

He may have been speaking more of market share than technology.  NT
currently implements a Mach kernel so in sense (but not fully), Windows NT
is Unix.

Remember NeXT Computer Inc, Steve Jobs' last computer company?  The
NeXTStep operating system was built on top of a Mach kernel and was rock
solid.  NeXTStep was superior to both Mac OS and Windows NT in every way
except market share.  Jobs' sold NeXT to Apple and so now we will be
seeing that same rock-solid Unix foundation within Mac OS X in a year or
two....

... that is, if Apple doesn't screw it up like they screw up most
of their innovations.

- Hacker

 ---
Dark Hacker                   |  Fortress Of Computation
mail: hacker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  web: http://www.computation.com/pub/hacker/

Investment and Market Outlook:
	http://www.computation.com/pub/hacker/Investment/index.html
Bishop Protein Analytics:
	http://www.computation.com/pub/hacker/Bishop/index.html

       "Building our future... one twisted freak at a time."